“Am I Really That Arrogant?”
I got a little “feedback” from a senior. Apparently, there were several things about me that needed to be addressed.
According to her, I tend to go home too much on time—which apparently can be interpreted as leaving early. During Journal Club, I was told that I came across as arrogant or like I knew everything. Apparently, the way I speak can also sound a little challenging or confrontational.
And there were a few other things.
Of course, my first reaction was not, “Oh, how dare you!”
Instead, I started questioning myself.
“Wait… am I really like that?”
I actually went as far as contacting some of my former colleagues back home and asking them:
“Back when I worked with you guys, did I ever come across as arrogant or like a know-it-all? Did the way I speak sound like I was challenging people?”
I even asked ChatGPT whether there was actually something wrong with going home on time. 😂
Because honestly, I wanted to know whether this was something I genuinely needed to improve, or whether I was simply being misunderstood.
After that, I also asked one of the staff members in my current lab:
“Is there anything I should improve about my performance during Journal Club? Is there something I could do better?”
The answer?
“Looks good to me.”
Well… okay. 😅
But here comes the funny part.
The senior who gave me all this feedback wasn't actually there during the Journal Club.
So now I'm genuinely curious:
Who told her about my performance?
Someone was apparently watching closely enough to give a full report. 😂
And then came my favorite part of the conversation.
She said something along the lines of:
“I’m sorry if my words were too straightforward, but I want Indonesian students to have a good image here. If you’re offended by what I said and end up disliking me, that’s okay. It just means I’ll have fewer haters.”
And I was standing there thinking…
WTH girl? Are you a celebrity? 😂
Why are we suddenly talking about haters?
Since when did a conversation about academic behavior become a discussion about how many haters you have?
But jokes aside, the whole experience made me reflect quite a lot.
In my previous post, I talked about how I sometimes find it difficult to connect with some Indonesian people here.
After this experience, I can't help but wonder if there really are some unhealthy dynamics within the Indonesian student community.
Maybe someone genuinely thought my Journal Club performance was bad. Maybe someone misunderstood my attitude. Maybe I really do have things that I need to improve.
And honestly, if that's the case, I'm willing to work on it.
But at the same time, I also think I need to be more careful about who I trust, what I say, and how much of myself I share.
Not everyone needs to be my friend.
Not every community needs to be my community.
And sometimes, keeping a healthy distance isn't necessarily being antisocial.
Maybe it's just being careful.
For now, I'll keep doing my best, keep learning, and keep observing.
And yes…
I'll probably still go home on time. 😂
「私って、そんなに偉そうに見えるのかな?」
先週は、ちょっといろいろ考えさせられる出来事がありました。
ある先輩から、私についていくつか「改善したほうがいいこと」を言われました。
例えば、時間通りに帰りすぎること。
つまり、「早く帰っているように見える」ということらしいです。
それから、Journal Clubのときの態度についても言われました。
「ちょっと偉そうに見える」
「何でも知っているような感じがする」
「話し方が相手に挑戦しているように聞こえる」
などなど。
最初は正直、
「え、私ってそんな感じなの?」
と思いました。
でも、怒るより先に、自分自身を振り返ってみることにしました。
そして、わざわざ以前一緒に働いていた人たちに連絡して、
「私が昔一緒に働いていたとき、偉そうに見えたり、何でも知っているような感じに見えたりした?」
「話し方が人に対して挑戦的に聞こえたりした?」
と聞いてみました。
さらに、ChatGPTにも、
「日本で時間通りに帰るのって、そんなに悪いことなの?」
と相談しました。😂
自分に本当に改善すべきところがあるのか、それとも単純に誤解されているだけなのか、それを知りたかったんです。
その後、今いるラボのスタッフの一人にも聞いてみました。
「Journal Clubでの自分のパフォーマンスについて、何か改善したほうがいいところありますか?何かもっと良くできるところありますか?」
すると、
「全然問題ないと思うよ。」
とのこと。
……なるほど。😅
でも、ここからがちょっと面白いところ。
その先輩、実はその日のJournal Clubにはいなかったんです。
じゃあ、ちょっと気になりますよね。
一体、誰が私のJournal Clubでの様子を先輩に伝えたんだろう?
誰かがちゃんと見ていて、私のパフォーマンスについて報告してくれたということですよね。😂
そして、もう一つ印象に残った言葉がありました。
先輩が、
「言い方がきつかったらごめんね。でも、日本にいるインドネシア人学生には、ちゃんと良い印象を持ってもらいたいと思っている。もし私の言ったことで傷ついて、私のことが嫌いになったとしてもいいよ。私のことを嫌いな人がまた一人減るだけだから。」
というようなことを言いました。
そして、私はそこに立って、こう思っていました……。
「え、WTH?あなた芸能人なの?😂」
でした。
いや、なんで突然「haters」の話になるの?😂
「私のことを嫌いな人が増える・減る」って、今はSNSの話をしているんでしたっけ?
……と思ってしまいました。
でも、冗談はさておき。
今回のことをきっかけに、いろいろ考えました。
以前のブログにも書いたように、私は日本に来てから、なぜか一部のインドネシア人とはあまりうまく付き合えないと感じることがあります。
今回の出来事を経験して、
「もしかしたら、インドネシア人学生のコミュニティの中にも、少し複雑な人間関係や空気があるのかもしれない」
と思うようになりました。
もちろん、本当に私の態度に問題があった可能性もあります。
誰かが私のJournal Clubでの態度を悪いと思ったのかもしれないし、私の話し方を誤解したのかもしれません。
もし本当に私に改善すべきところがあるなら、それはちゃんと直したいと思っています。
でも同時に、
誰を信頼するのか。
何を話すのか。
どこまで自分のことを話すのか。
そこは、もう少し慎重になったほうがいいのかもしれません。
全員と友達になる必要はない。
すべてのコミュニティに無理して馴染む必要もない。
そして、少し距離を置くことは、必ずしも「人付き合いが苦手」ということではないと思います。
時には、自分を守るために必要なことなのかもしれません。
とりあえず、これからも自分なりに頑張って、勉強して、周りをよく観察していこうと思います。
そして……
時間通りに帰ることは、たぶんこれからも続けます。😂


Comments
Post a Comment